Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starter scope

Hi everybody,

I am intersted in buying my first scope, I'm mainly interested in observing the planets, but still want the versatility to observe all the wonders of the sky.

Although I understand the importance of having top quality kit, my budget is only £130, and can't really afford much more, two scopes have caught my eye are:

Skyhawk 1145PM

Skywatcher Explorer 130

I live in quite a rural area of Bedfordshire with not a large amount of light pollution, what are the advantages / disadvantages of either, or would anybody recommend one over the other.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Mark

Hello Mark.

Not a lot to choose between the two you thinking of buying.

They will be adequate on the moon and larger Planets on nights of good seeing when you can apply plenty of magnification.

The light collecting power is marginally in favour of the 130P which has an area of 19.6", against the 114 Skyhawks 15.8".

Both decent starter scopes, but I woud lean towards the 130P.

Ron.

the skywatcher 130 is a good scope .it's what i use

Agreed. It's also the scope I use and I've been very impressed with its performance. With a 10mm EP with a x2 Barlow, I was able to see great surface details on Jupiter this evening, even given the less than perfect seeing due to the low position. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Archived