Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just the best day ever

Jupiter Martin

Well I had one amazing day observing. I'm a noob only had the scope a couple of months and not many oppotunities to use it.

Well today that changed and wow. Started this morning at 5am. When I got up the skies were clear and could see Saturn just above the moon to and tothe right a touch so got the scope out and homed in on saturn focused her in my 25mm Meade 4000 EP tiny but could make out the rings well the line of the rings sort of going across its equator. Slapped in my 2 X barlow and a little bit bigger but clear as a bell. Thew in the 12mm bigger again and the highest mag I had ever been able to use still clear but thought what the heck and stuck in the 6.4mm bigger better and clear could see some banding at the top of the planet. it was truley amazing and told all I met during the day. opps forgot to mention that in the 25mm and barlow could see a moon to the right about a inch out in my field of view. Any way thought the day could not get much better. But it did when I came home tonight at 5pm went and got the scope out my first target Jupiter again best view ever and in my 25mm and 12.4m Instaed of seeing just IO Europa Callisto and ganymeade I saw 2 more moons well thats what they looked like the first one was in line with the other 4 but wayout a good couple of inches in my FOV on the right the other one was on the opposite side and out a cople of inches and up of the two main moons on the left. Decided to set up my goto which I have never been able to get to work properly until today. worked like a dream for the first time Had a great look at pleadies orion,and so much more. it was just all so amazing. then the door went at 8.30 delivery driver came with my meade 5000 EP set. i'm in heaven (and getting to see it it through my scope. Can't wait till I get my skylinner 300p

Thanks for reading

Hi Martin. Sounds like a great observing session. I have to take you up on the fact that you say you saw 6 moons instead of the usual 4. The 2 extra "moons" you saw on either side are infact stars. Many people often post comments,images which include 1 or 2 of these extra "moons". Their alignment sure does make you think they are moons but i have learned that they are just stars.

BTW~~~if you think Saturn looks good now just you wait about 5 yrs until the rings open up again. That sight will knock your socks off.

Ah sure had me fooled they looked just like IO and the rest I have never noticed them in my view before until tonight. any how it was just a brilliant day all round and just saw a meteor up around taurus it just gets better. View from the bedroom now otherwise I will not get to bed.

Thanks for the heads up on the moons well stars lol

Archived