EQ5 mount upgrading

Hi,

I am a new comer and dont know whether this had already been discussed here or not.

I have a EQ5 with its Dual Axis motor drive with its hand controller. Buut no Go To facility.

Is it possible to upgrade it with some new software and hardware to have Go To feature through some Do It Yourself project? There are few upgrades available at GBP300 Plus. I cannot afford them.

Regards-

Debasis

There are one or two GOTO kits around for the EQ5 but around £300 seems to be the going rate. It's probably less costly to sell your current mount with the dual motors and buy another, used, mount pre-fitted with GOTO - the CG5-GT's can be had for £400 or less on the used market:

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Either that or consider how much you really need GOTO :icon_eek:

John

As far as I know there is no version of EQMOD that will run with Celetron mounts, (firmware) which is unfortunate as having seeing it operate a HEQ5 I am impressed with it.

So, you have only 3 choices, stick with what you have, spend the £300 and buy the kit or sell what you have and buy a 2nd hand goto mount.

Gary

I'm a bit confused. You asked about a goto conversion, this involves replacing the motors. motor control board and the handbox. The link you provided is for the shoestring astronomy autoguiding conversion. The autoguide conversion is feasible with your existing motors there a just a bit of soldering in the handbox to add the extra cables to provide the autoguider ST4 port. This conversion does not give you goto.

Peter

I'm a bit confused. You asked about a goto conversion, this involves replacing the motors. motor control board and the handbox. The link you provided is for the shoestring astronomy autoguiding conversion. The autoguide conversion is feasible with your existing motors there a just a bit of soldering in the handbox to add the extra cables to provide the autoguider ST4 port. This conversion does not give you goto.

Peter

Now I too am confused, I assumed that his link went to a goto modification, suppose thats what I get for not checking the link out.

So then, is it goto or autoguiding you want debasis?

Gary

Actually the link given by JBH in response to my post is a useful one. But it is to give Auto Guide capability to EQ5 Dual axis Motor Drive.

But my question was whether the drive can be given Go To capability or not. If anyone has done anything in this line.

However, is there any link that shows full connection details of Mount with Dual axis Motor drive, Modified hand controller, Computer and GPIN=PT ?

Regards-

Debasis

I should read threads more thoroughly. debais asked about addind fgoto to an EQ5 mount and JBH provided the link to the shoestring astronomy conversion for the autoguider.

The converted handcontroller connects to the mount in the usual way and the autoguider conncects to the new new st4 port in the controller. The other side of the autoguider connects to your computer. The GPNT-PT autoguider conects to the parallel port or the GPUSB autoguider connects to the usb port. Software on the computer (PHD / Guidemaster etc) receives a video signal from the guide camera and monitors the drift of the guide star, the software then sends command signals back to the mount via the autoguider to correct the drift.

Peter

Hi Debasis

It is possible to perform a DIY GOTO conversion of EQ5 mounts for a bit less than the commercial packages. Take a look at Christopher Erickson's page and links from there.

www.data-plumber.com/astronomy/autostarupgrade

I have done this conversion with a GP mount using Meade DS motors and Autostar. I also ended up buying Goto-4-All mounting brackets, but unfortunately I believe these are no longer being made. The system works fine, but I find the DS motors a bit noisy at night and I have actually dismantled it recently to go back to manual finding.

It made more sense to go this route a while back when commercial upgrades were not widely available. On the other hand, a slightly more DIY approach was fun and I learned a bit about setting up the system.

You might also want to take a look at the Roboscopes Yahoo group for other ideas on this topic.

Cheers

David

I think you'll be better off either upgrading with the EQ5 GoTo kit. I sold one last year by the way so they do come up from time to time OR upgrade the mount to something like an HEQ5 Pro or maybe a Celestron CG5 with GoTo. Both of those come up second hand quite often.

Hi,

Thanks a lot to you all for this whole lot of information. I have gone through David's link, Thanks David again.

Shall go through all the links in the page that David referred to me and again start asking you for all the thing those I wont understand.

Debasis

Hi Debasis

It is possible to perform a DIY GOTO conversion of EQ5 mounts for a bit less than the commercial packages. Take a look at Christopher Erickson's page and links from there.

www.data-plumber.com/astronomy/autostarupgrade

I have done this conversion with a GP mount using Meade DS motors and Autostar. I also ended up buying Goto-4-All mounting brackets, but unfortunately I believe these are no longer being made. The system works fine, but I find the DS motors a bit noisy at night and I have actually dismantled it recently to go back to manual finding.

It made more sense to go this route a while back when commercial upgrades were not widely available. On the other hand, a slightly more DIY approach was fun and I learned a bit about setting up the system.

You might also want to take a look at the Roboscopes Yahoo group for other ideas on this topic.

Cheers

David

Could you please post a photo of the Goto-4-All mounting brackets. I would like to do the conversion, I already have the DS motors but having dificulty mounting them in a stable location.

Ivor

Hi Debasis

I think Astro_baby is right. Probably best to go with a dedicated upgrade kit if you can get one in your price range. There is quite a lot of tinkering to get it right.

Of course you can also get a brand new alt-az goto for £189 !!

Skywatcher - Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount

Need to be sure it is suitable for your scope...

Ivor, I will try to get a photo of the brackets. The second photo on the data-plumber page actually shows one of them though.

Cheers

David

Archived