Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC443 - Jellyfish Nebula widefield

GordonH

Hi All

Finally there was a clear night (the only fully clear night for November) so I managed to get everything set up and shot this 12x20 minute sub image of the Jellyfish nebula in Auriga. The moon was vitually full and overhead for most of the evening so it was mainly Ha imaging for that night. Taken with the FSQ106ED and H36 with 5nm Ha filter. An earlier effort at this in colour can be seen on the nebulae page of the image gallery at my website http://www.imagingtheheavens.co.uk

I will be adding the other channels to this at a later date

Thanks for looking

Best wishes

Gordon

post-13589-133877412684_thumb.jpg

Is this a mosiac ???? What was the focal length of this.

Had a look in CCDCalc and wondering if it would fit inside my ED80 600mm scope.

Great image this is and something I have never seen before. Definately on the list for me.

Hi

This is a full frame shot using the FSQ106 which has a focal length of 530mm at f5 and Starlight Xpress H36 camera (same size as 35mm), you should be able to fit it in with your scope providing you have a large chip camera but you will need suitably sized filters and focuser, etc. I am using 50mm square filters and the FSQ has a 4" focuser

Best wishes

Gordon

That's a really great image - well framed with plenty of detail. I have a real liking of Ha monochrome

I've noticed that the two bright stars each have an off-centre halo. Do you think these have been created by the Ha filter?

Steve

That's a really great image - well framed with plenty of detail. I have a real liking of Ha monochrome

I've noticed that the two bright stars each have an off-centre halo. Do you think these have been created by the Ha filter?

Steve

Hi Steve

I'm not sure, Astrodon filters are supposed to be halo free and this is the first Ha imae that I've done so far with them where there is a halo, it may havebeen to do with the moon being close by and bright

Best wishes

Gordon

I suspect you're right about the influence of the moon on the image. I guess it will still be reflecting some light in the Ha range. But still a really lovely image

Steve

ps I hope you're going to post your Californian Neb here as well

I suspect you're right about the influence of the moon on the image. I guess it will still be reflecting some light in the Ha range. But still a really lovely image

Steve

ps I hope you're going to post your Californian Neb here as well

Hi Steve

I beat you to it, I put it up this morning

Best wishes

Gordon

Archived