Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A couple of hours between sun and moon

Andrew

Just a quick summary of last nights observing. Started with M101 which was only just visible at 11 since it was not fully dark. Took in M5 and M92. Quite a contrast between these two, largely due to their relative positions I guess (M92 was right at the zenith which was fun with my alt-azimuth mount!).

Spent 45 minutes or so looking over a handful of open clusters (Cr 463 and 464, NGC6940, NGC6871 and NGC457). The last two are the pick of the bunch for me. The owl cluster is a real favourite and NGC6871 is also a treat, particularly if you have a small scope (it’s so bright). The only problem can be picking it out from the mass of other stars in Cygnus.

By now Perseus was beginning to appear so I took a quick look at the double cluster then onto M31 and M32. Made the usual attempt to find M110 but to no avail – a crazy time to try really (still quite low plus near full moon!). Still, I now have its exact position pinpointed relative to the surrounding stars, so it’s easy to find the blank patch where it ought to be!

Finished with a look at the moon which was blindingly bright until the clouds rolled in over it just after 1. All in all a decent night. :D

Archived