Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SPX 200 f6 focus issue

I'm checking this out here in case I am missing anything.

I recently bought a s/h SPX 200 f/6, and just got an HEQ5 to use it on.

I have problems with the SPX 200 f6 focusing - I can focus fine using a DSLR at prime focus, but had to bodge up an extension for visual (barlow adapter minus the lens). There's not a lot of info about this, and the OO site does not list the extender as being supplied or necessary for visual. I'm considering changing the focuser, as it sits well inside the tube, and yet just about anything I have tried to focus on is near its maximum extension. I'm guessing I'll need an extension to do anything that involves either visual, webcam+barlow or DSLR+barlow.

I'm trying to figure if this is the way it is meant to be (not understanding why the focuser is not positioned further away from the tube to give more flexibility in focusing - seeing no reason why it extends so far into the tube when nothing I have tried needs to focus with it there) - or if I am missing something significant - or if there is something wrong with mine. I also wonder if anybody knows what the best size extension is to cover this, or whether I need a couple? Or, whether replacing the focuser with a 1/10 crayford (where the knobs are not seated almost touching the OTA itself) would make any difference.

I have gone through basic collimation using a Baader laser, and I'd have thought if there was anything seriously out of kilter that would have shown up there - so am guessing the problem is at the actual focusing end. I did see somewhere that the primary mirror can be set up in one of two positions, depending on usage, is this correct?

Thanks,

M.

This is exactly what happened with my newt I picked up a few weeks ago, until I used the supplied 2"-2" extension. Essentially, yes you do need an extension tube for visual work, and OO would have supplied one new with your scope. Ring OO, they'll be able to send you one out (very well made it is too)

Archived