NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Andromeda, Orion Nebula and maybe M81/82?

Jayla

Its been a while since I dragged my kit out into the yard, but last night was reasonably clear so I gave it a shot.

I managed to find M31, took me a good 15 minutes to find it with the 15x70s as its in a completely diferent place to where it was back in Sunny June :headbang:

Even though M31 is a lot higher up, I was expecting it to be a little clearer but to be honest I didn't notice any difference.

I was quite happy being able to spot M31 with the bins, so got the scope on it. I must admit I generally have a lot more fun with the bins, its easier to find stuff and in my opinion gives a better view. My scope is fun, but its a lot of effort setting up, finding an object, and even setting focus sometimes.

I've swapped in the barlow x3 and x2 on a various set of EPs but I find it just distorts the object, or makes it so dark I can't make anything out.

Anyways, M31 wasn't much more impressive with the scope so I left that and went for a wander with the 15x70s.

I think I *might* have spotted M81/82 up above ursa major. I tried looking for these in the summer but could never get them. I think I got them last night, but it appeared as 2 "tear drop" like grey shapes. They occupied about the same FOV as M31. I couldn't find anything else in that area so assumed I've got them?

Next I went for Orion, probably one of the most spectacular constellations. Immediately as I put the bins up to my eyes I was instantly on the orion nebula (I lol'd on that). I must say its as good as or maybe more fascinating than andromeda, I like the shape and could see 4 "stars" inside. Is that part of the nebula or just 4 stars that appear in front of?

Well that was pretty much it, any suggestions for future observations? Like I say I prefer the bins. Would be nice to find a few more Orion nebula like objects, ie those that stand out quite clear rather than faint-smudges :D

Thanks for reading :D

Hi Jayla :headbang:

Sounds like you had a really great time out there! thanks for sharing with us. Here's my suggestions on some of your questions...

I've swapped in the barlow x3 and x2 on a various set of EPs but I find it just distorts the object, or makes it so dark I can't make anything out.
I find this too - M31 is definitely best viewed with binoculars or a really wide FOV with low mag. As you increase the mag, the light from the object is 'spread out' over a wider area, as you make the object 'bigger' increasing the mag - making it fainter. Stick with low mag for galaxies, I find that works a lot better with galaxies and DSOs, like globular clusters.
I think I got them last night, but it appeared as 2 "tear drop" like grey shapes. They occupied about the same FOV as M31. I couldn't find anything else in that area so assumed I've got them?
Try with your scope. M81 and M82 are placed really well at this time of year, fairly high up - I get great views of these with my 130PM :D 'tear drop' is quite a good description - although it's been ages since I last saw these two! They are unmistakable though, close together and fairly prominent :D I would say you got them :)
could see 4 "stars" inside. Is that part of the nebula or just 4 stars that appear in front of?
I think what you are describing here is the Trapezium open cluster. They are at the heart of the nebula - the stars are relatively young, being formed out of the parent nebula (M42) ;) So yes, they are part of the nebula :D Try it with your scope, you should be able to see a few more stars in the same region.

Congrats, a really productive session ;)

edit: have you had a look at the famous double cluster with your binos? That's a beautiful object, give it a go :p easy to find, between Cassie and Perseus.

James a pair of 15x70 binos give wonderful views of many objects eg the double cluster in Perseus, but as you gain experience you will appreciate your scope more. Amanda is correct over using a low mag wide field EPs for Andromeda M31. Once found try viewing M32 and M110 which are close by.

I would suggest buying a star atlas like Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas and possibly the book 'Turn Left at Orion' which explains many of the bright DSOs visible through your scope based on the 4 seasons.

If you buy the star atlas I would make a laminated guide circle based on your scope/EP field of view this will allow you to cross reference the star maps and the view through your scope. This will make it easier to find and confirm objects like M81 and M82.

Good luck with your viewing. If you have the chance try and visit one of the star parties SGL5, Salisbury, Kelling Heath etc

Mark

Archived