Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

break in the cloud at last - beginners best night yet

Wurzil

After weeks of cloud and heavy rain, the skies cleared tonight and there was SO MUCH TO SEE!

Conjunction of jupiter and the moon: Spotted this driving home from work and decided I would get the scope out. Unfortunately I can only get views to the south out of an open window next to where i store my scope, and I just about managed to see both jupiter and the moon crouching behind the sofa with my head jammed against the wall (too far spaced to see both at once through the 25mm EP though - I really cant wait to see a planet "rising" from behind the moon). This was my first moon since i got the telescope and i was amazed at the detail in the craters (Ill learn the names eventually) I reckon when I get a barlow and 6mm EP I will be able to really explore at high magnification on our closest neighbour. Jupiter was reasonably steady today with cloud banding and colour and 4 moons (2 close together on one side and two spread out on the other).

Orion nebula: With orion riding higher and higher I was impressed at how much better the great orion nebula looked than last time- its sooo pretty. My flatmate was also very impressed which made me feel strangely proud of myself :D

Mars: Once it had risen from the orange glow to the north east (which I am beginning to despise!) it stopped wobbling and resolved as a small orange disc at 100x. I could just make out that it was about 3/4 full but there was no surface detail. When I get the 6mm + 2x Barlow Im expecting a little more from the god of war. Was very nice to get a first glimpse of him though!

Double cluster and andromeda: I got down on the floor and practiced finding the galaxy using pegasus and casseopia. Im getting better at this now and the view tonight was marginally better than last time - a cigar shaped smudge brightest in the middle. I kind of stumbled upon the double cluster by accident whilst looking down the milky way - I checked stellarium which confirmed that i had indeed found it - it was very crisp and pretty through the refractor.

The seeing was suprisingly good and I went round these gorgeous targets a few times. It always seems like I am in a rush to view things because of clouds coming over and things disappearing over rooftops (and bedtime approaching). I think next time I should avoid looking at the obvious targets and take the time to properly polar align my telescope and try and find a target which is not so easy by using the RA/DEC co-ordinates and star hopping.

My local club meets friday so fingers crossed for clear skies :headbang:

night all

Warren

I know the pain of cloudy skies and only being able to see a certain area of sky, I can see south (thank god, if it were not for Orion i'd never find anything else!) a tiny bit of west and about 60% of easterly skies.. I wonder if my neighbour would mind if I used their back garden sometimes..

I actually consider myself quite lucky as I live in a flat with a veranda (above the houses on the estate!) I can see from North West round to South East almost to the horizon - my flat blocks the low part of of the southern and south-western sky (which is the direction I can see out of the window where I store my telescope).

PS - I forgot to mention in my quick report that I observed Orion, Mars etc from my veranda, not the window.

Hello Wurzil :headbang:

That is a lovely report, well done on a productive session - a lovely break from the clouds. I know what you mean about feeling "proud" when you show someone an object through the telescope, it's almost as if you are introducing them to what is really up there :D

Will you have the chance to go to an observing point with your local club? You'll find that being away from the warm air around the house will really improve the 'seeing' - it sounds like you have an adequate viewing position for now, but I think you'll have a lovely surprise when you get to a larger observing point, with lots of space to slew your scope around :D

The Moon at high mag, for me, is one of the most awe inspiring sights ever. When you get that 6mm EP you'll be blown away. Just be gentle with the focusing, the 'sweet spot' is hard to stumble across... the higher the mag, the tighter that spot on the focusing wheel is to get perfection. Keep at it, go slowly. :)

I am waiting for Mars to rise a little higher too, that orange glow is horrible isn't it :D

thanks again for sharing your great report ;) hope you get some more clear skies soon.

Hi Amanda.

The local club (SEKAS) will be meeting at Walmer in Kent on Friday if the weather permits. Ive not been before as its been cloudy on the public nights for the last few months. Apparently it is nice and dark and looks out over the sea (stable air!) so the views should be much better :headbang: Fingers crossed for a clear night - Ill post on here if all goes well.

Thanks for replying

Warren

Archived