what are the differences (i sound stupid)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What it has is a motor which drives the scope in the Right Ascension. Assuming you have half decent polar alignment (as all EQ mounts should have), the motor drives the mount around at the same rate as objects move across the sky (the sidereal rate) and it enables you to be able to look at your chosen object without you having to track the object by hand.

HTH

Tony..

Hello Adam, if you want to have a go at simple webcam imaging of the moon in the future then the motorised one will be best, but if this is not on the cards yet then the manual one will get you around the sky you just have to move it with flexible controls.

John.

130p as you dont really need a motor for learning the sky. Motors are handy for astrophotography, not so important for just visual work, ie looking at the moon and planets and star hopping.

It's not essential but personally, knowing that you haven't got to track the mount, it's one less thing to think about when you're at the eyepiece.

Tony..

For regular observing you will find you manage perfectly well without a motor ... until you use a scope that has one!

A motor allows you to change eyepieces, read a chart, make notes and sketches, take a break while clouds pass, put the kettle on, visit the loo, whatever, confident in the knowledge that when you return to the eyepiece the object will (assuming you have correctly polar-aligned the mount) still be in the field-of-view.

(If you choose the 130p, you can always add a motor later).

HTH

I'm gonna get the 130P and I'll add the motor later on :D and thanks for the advice john, what have you been doing lately? Had any nice sights? :D i wont be doing any photography yet so the motor won't really be a needed mod at the moment, and when I order it tomrz I'll get a moon filter aswell. Thanks everyone for the advice :headbang:

Glad you are getting your scope Adam and the Moon is making its appearance. So when your scope arrives the Moon should be on show and that will not disappoint a new astronomer and hopefully you will be bitten by the bug that got to us all here.

Cloudy John.

Indeed the moon is great. If you can spend a bit more buy a neutral density filter for the moon. And it will come on the same package without extra postage.

Thats one of the few pieces of gear anyone haves and will always be useful. Or else you'll need sunglasses to look at the moon. :headbang:

Archived