Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which PowerMate for imaging?

My scopes are all fast, hence the need for a x4 (2"), or x5 (1.25") PowerMate for planetary Webcam imaging. The x2 (2") Powermate I have already just won't reach the required mag. I was thinking of purchasing the x5 PowerMate to start, is this going to be OK (primarily for planetary imaging, but also planetary visual)? Or would I be better off with the x4 PowerMate (an added attraction with the x5 is I could use it with my relatively portable 5" Newt, which has an EQ2/clock drive - otherwise I'm limited to when I can haul out the EQ6...)

72mm Megrez f6 (2" focuser)

4"mm APO f5 (2" focuser)

5" Newt f5 (1.25" focuser)

10" Newt f4.8 (2" focuser)

What webcam? f/25 to f/30 is as much as you need for the Imaging Source mono cameras, with a colour camera you might do better with a bit more (when the seeing permits) ... but it's wise to have something a bit less in reserve, for when the seeing isn't so steady.

I have a mono modded iBot Firewire Webcam, a mono modded SPC900, and a colour SPC900. I doubt FPS performance is up to the IS... So maybe the x4, but that won't fit the 5" Newt! Then again, its difficult enough to drag myself outside at the best of times... let alone times of dodgy seeing.

Archived