NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IS THIS MOUNT ANY GOOD?

domfog

I am in the process of buying a mount second hand and I haven't got the experience I need.

Basically is this mount OK to mount a TAL 100rs see pic

I am told it is a EQ3 mount

any comments please

Dom

Hi Dom,

the mount in the pic is an Astro 3, not to be confused with the EQ3. It's more EQ2 than EQ3.

It depends how much you have to spend on the mount. An EQ5 would be a good choice but won't cost a penny under £70 secondhand, even on Ebay. People jump on them. And that's bare without drives. I think an EQ3 would handle a TAL 100R without too much trouble. I tried the 100ED on Rob's EQ3 and it handled it no problem. Personally I don't think the EQ5 offers much more in the way of capacity than the EQ3. And the EQ3 is definitely better engineered. Much nicer movement on both axis.

Russ

It's funny you should say that Russ, I've always looked it it a different way the EQ5 is only a few quid more secondhand and can handle more weight. To me, the EQ 3/2 is stuck in the middle of being portable like a EQ2 or being able to carry weight like an EQ5.

Archived