NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSI II guiding question

philipok

Hi all

I have a DSI II colour, wondered whether anyone could clarify the guiding on it - I know the drizzle software can rotate images after exposure, but if I connect the PC to the scope, can the package guide the scope inbetween exposures as well?

Also - has anyone had much success imaging with a 10" meade fitted with a 6.3 focal reducer + DSI II?

cheers

Philip

Not sure I understand the question..

The DSI II can, as you probably already know, be used for imaging.

I have one I use on both the 12" and 10" Lx.

It can also be used as a guide camera with PHD etc, separate from another second camera doing the imaging. (A piggyback or OAG type arrangement.)

If you are asking; can the DSI take an image and guide at the same time, the answer is no. This would require either a Starlight type camera with a "STAR 2000" guider interface or a dual chip SBIG type camera.

Does this help??

Erm

If it's exposing for 3 minutes, how's it sending guide data?. This is NOT a good plan.

What you could do is polar align exceptionally well (dift align) , hope that the unguided sub time (say up to 3-4 mins if it's absolutely blisteringly good, and the mount is exceptional), shows little trailing, and then send a guide correction after each such, but you'd probably end up with even worse images. DSI-C for guide at the same time on a parallel or piggyback scope will work, but unless you have the star 2000 (shudder) system, or an SBIG, I don't know of much else that will do what you want..best bet, get a second camera and guide off axis or with a second scope...

Archived