Dehumidifier for a 8'x8' metal shed obs.

Hi All,

I'm in the process of converting a metal shed,into a observatory.

Having read various threads concerning damp/condensation,has

anyone any recommendation for a dehumidifier.Obviously,i don't want to spend a fortune,but are they a 'must have'?

Regards,

Sooty.

I got a simple B and Q one (not my favourite store by a long stretch) for £60ish approx 4 years ago. It has been doing a very fine job for me ever since. I simply have it on for an hour or two each day and it works a treat. It is a must have for me. My obs is wooden and I'd imagine your walls will gather more moisture. I guess that is possibly less settling on your kit!

Anthony

Good link but what a price! I am toying with the idea of a dehumidifier but my problem will be getting the dome properly sealed so the unit isn't trying to dehumidify Derbyshire!

I have a breathable motorcycle over my scope and am putting a 20w light beneath this to keep the kit comfortably above ambient. I think the main thing is to avoid condensation.

I seal my 2.7m (9ft) dome with a home made 28 foot sausage of fiber that is used to line quilted jackets contained in a polythene tube sealed at each end, this is pressed into the gap when dome not in obs use and Yacht/caravan dehumidifer on time switch. this seams to work quite well

Good link but what a price! I am toying with the idea of a dehumidifier but my problem will be getting the dome properly sealed so the unit isn't trying to dehumidify Derbyshire!

I have a breathable motorcycle over my scope and am putting a 20w light beneath this to keep the kit comfortably above ambient. I think the main thing is to avoid condensation.

Archived