Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperion Aspheric

AWR

Apologies for yet another EP thread!

I was reading Nicnac's thread about Hyperions and the 31mm Hyperion Aspheric was mentioned.

Baader Planetarium - Baader Hyperion Aspheric

Chris (Macavity) mentioned that it went well with a Mak 127 converted to 2".

Reading the description of the EP it also mentions that it comes with a 1.25" adapter:

The standard 2” barrel provides the full 72º field of view, and a special wide-field 1¼” barrel with a field stop of 1.265”(32mm) will extract the maximum field possible from 1.25” telescopes.

What does this mean? In particular how would I calculate my field of view? Would it be the same as if I converted the my Mak 127 to 2" (however I do that!)?

Many thanks

Andrew

Heheh - Just Macavity making (MAK 127 advocacy) trouble again! :rolleyes:

YES, the Hyperion Aspherics do come with a curved(!) 2" to 1.25" adaptor, which solves the problem of non-matching orifices(!) but can introduce some vignetting. To some extent you can "see round" the bend, but not QUITE the same as 2" adaptation / optical path.

Since I had begun a reply to your PM, here's the (rapid, non-secret!) text therin: :)

(I haven't discussed the field calculations etc. and others are WELCOME to chip in!)

Hi Andrew,

I think the main thing to know (and it took me a while! <G>) is that the MAK127 "back end" starts off with a so-called "T2" male thread. As you may know, this is a rather well-established, standard between a variety (Baader) optical accessories.

The other standard (for 2" diagonals etc.) is the SCT (Schmidt Cassgegrain Telescope?) thread. The cheapest way to explore the possibility of fitting a EXISTING SCT 2" diagonal to the S/W MAK is to get one of those T" -> SCT adapters from Steve/FLO:

Adaptors - Skywatcher Maksutov to SCT adapter

Another possibility is this thingie- from Teleskope Service in Germany:

Adapter vom Skywatcher Maksutov auf 2" - Teleskop-Express: DER Astroshop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

The above discusses the PRINCIPAL of why all this works, despite contrary rumours!

Also, TS have their DEDICATED "Maxbrite" T2 diagonals, which was the solution I used - Though this is obviously the most expensive method(!):

T2 MAXBRIGHT Zenitspiegel - beidseitig T2 Anschluss - Teleskop-Express: DER Astroshop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

Overall though, I feel it transforms the humble(?) MAK127 into a passable general purpose scope. It certainly improves the rigidity of the back end! You can e.g. use 2" eyepeices with 30mm + field stop (maybe 40mm?) i.e. allowing use of common 32mm 70 deg 2" eyepieces and significantly more "framing" field than a 32mm 1.25" Plossl etc.

Anyway, hope that's not too lengthy or thoroughly incomprehensible!

Thanks for that - not too lengthy and very comprehensible.

Improving the diagonal was already next on my list which is why my interest was piqued by your comment.

Andrew

(After writing the PM I realised I had further more general questions)

To clarify a few details for myself and in case anyone else is interested:

I've done some measuring, and the very first thread (nearest the mirror) is M45x1 and so can be adapted using adapters from FLO or TS to a SCT thread or a 2" EP holder.

The thread on the outside of the existing EP holder is M42x0.75 (called T2?) and could be attached directly to the diagonal suggested (as well as many other adapters).

Andrew

You might be interested in this recent review of the 36mm version of the Baader Aspheric:

Baader Planetarium 36mm Hyperion-Aspheric Modular Eyepiece - CN Report

It looks as if, with the 36mm at least, that using the 1.25" barrel vignettes the field of view somewhat (ie: you loose some of that wide field).

It's tough to get a wide field of view from a 127mm F/11.8 mak - the design doesnot really lend itself to low power, wide angle views.

John

It's tough to get a wide field of view from a 127mm F/11.8 mak - the design does not really lend itself to low power, wide angle views.
I think, as ever John, ultimately the FAIREST statement. ;)

Below are some CALCULATED MAK127 True fields for Baader Hyperions, set against a background of the Pleiades. ISTR, I based these on the quoted field stop values. Though, frankly (Andrew) I found that the 31mm Hyperion SUBJECTIVELY didn't show "hugely" wider fields than the 24mm - which I see you already have. :(

I think if you want to EXPERIMENT with this: Personally, I'd get the FLO Adapter, a budget 2" diagonal... then TRY e.g. the 36mm Asp Hyperion, a 32mm (80 Deg?!) Moonfish... a 35mm PAN? Though it is my finding that even "circle diagrams" can slightly mislead on the TRUE (sky) field of view! :p

I am still fairly happy with the Maxbright 35mm (sic) diagonal. It was expensive, but upgrades the (rather :rolleyes:) MAK backend, to something SOLID. It isn't as heavy as a full 2" diagonal and naturally FITS the MAK127 and the novel 2"/1.25" Hyperion noses like a glove! :eek:

Pleiades.jpg

Hey, this is no worse than "Aperture Fever" threads [teasing] :)

(And hopefully, as therein, we ALL still learn something?)

Archived