Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Textbook bad night, but saved by m57

philipok

Last night had all the ingredients of a badly planned session - damp, patchy clouds, Sunday evening.. Rolled the 10" scope out and now regretting setting up the polar wedge.. spent a cold 15 mins squinting through the finder to adjust the wedge. Arg - where are the allen keys for the bolts? [stubs thigh on the scopy buggy handle].

Foolishly tried to mount my ZS66 on the scope using only a camera bracket, line it up parallel to the scope and plug in the DSI.. trying to image the veil before it sets. DSI driver freezes. Forget that!

After 30 mins of blundering around, decided to cut my losses and centre on M57, with a 32mm SWAN + OIII. Interestingly, despite all the mist and cloud, I had a decent view - and for the first time it looked elongated and 'patchy', even a hint of the photographic image, rather than the bland glowing circle I usually get. Ramped up the mag, but it didn't really take it.

Then the arduous packing up and hair dryer de-drew - everything soaking wet.. better luck next time!

philip

Archived