NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

observing last night - 8th November

Mark at Beaufort

It was cold and damp last night but decided to use the Flextube 10" Dob to view DSOs in the circumpolar area.

Started with the clusters in Cassiopeia that I viewed a few nights before with the 4" APO with the Moon present. NGC 654, NGC 663 and NGC 659 were so much better especially with the 13mm Ethos. Moved over to NGC 7789 - incredible number of stars.

Next decided to pick out the faint constellation Lacerta which I knew had 2 nice clusters. NGC 7243 (caldwell 16) and NGC 7209 wonderful cluster image in the 10" Dob.

Switched to finding some galaxies. NGC 6503 is a spiral galaxy in Draco and defined as no. 85 in the Hidden Treasurers book - known as the lost-in space galaxy. Very clear image in the 10" Dob.

Finally decided to detect 2 caldwell galaxies in Cassiopeia. NGC 147 (caldwell 17) and NGC 185 (caldwell 18). Both these objects are dwarf elliptical galaxies and whereas NGC 185 was fairly easy to detect I could not see NGC 147 despite having its exact location. I either need a bigger scope or a more transparent sky.

By 10.00pm the mist was coming down and I needed to use the 12v hairdryer every couple of minutes so decided to retire.

Mark

I was out as well, Very misty but as you say clear overhead.

I managed to pick out NGC 1161 which is a oval shaped hazy blob so I was pleased to find something.

I have also seen NGC 185 but also could not reach NGC 147. Although they are said to have similiar surface brightness I think 147 is more evenly spread and so is more challenging visually..

DSS Images for NGC 100 thru NGC 199

NGC 6503 is a bit brighter and more obvious and you can see it even without using averted vision which is more than you can say for most galaxies...Relatively easy to find as well...

I hope things are going well for you. That summer party seems a long time ago now.

Mark

Mark (at :icon_eek: that is a nice set of targets - it's quite inspirational to see you getting out there in this rubbish weather - I like the sound of 6503 - intruiging and I'll have a look.

I'm always surprised just how much there is "off the beaten track" in and around the circumploar area so well done you

Thanks again

Steve

Thanks for the comments it is surprising the number of interesting clusters, galaxies etc you can find in the circumpolar area. Of course the other useful thing is that these objects stay above the horizon all year although there are better times than others.

Mark thanks for the link to DSS images not seen it before.

Mark

Archived