Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

150PL (EQ3-2) queries after first observing session

Got everything set up yesterday after the 2 boxes have been standing around the house for a week as I was only allowed to open my birthday present on the day! What a wait that was!! Tried to keep all the cloud in the boxes but most of it managed to escape, did get about an hour's worth of Lunar views which were breathtaking! Didn't even bother putting counterweights on as I wasn't tracking or anything (stuck to alt/az movements) and have limited sky view from our balcony.

Couple of questions I have after taking it for it's first spin:

1 - After viewing is it better to remove the scope with the dovetail thingy attached from the mount or open the clamps and leave them attached to the dovetail in the mount? I'm thinking probably just remove with clamps attached to scope for easier storage.

2 - If dovetail is removed every time this will obviously lead to scratching and tiny dents made on it. Also quite nervous about the 2 screws coming loose in an observing session. Will they hold up and can I relax? I would have thought a hole to screw them into would've been a bit more secure.

3 - Barlow lens - where goes the little black bit on the opposite side of the viewfinder that has a tiny hole in? I stuck the Barlow in without this bit but couldn't focus it then. :icon_eek:

Really excited about getting it all out again! At first I thought it would be such a mission assembling and taking apart after every session but it's actually very easy and quite fun to do, like advanced Lego! :)

Thanks

Johann

Congratulations on your new scope, it should serve you well for many years.

1. Personally I'd leave the dovetail bar attached to the scope.

2. Yes the dovetail bar will get ratty. (It's an easy and reasonably priced replacement if you should ever feel the need to do so). Do both screws up hand tight and there is plenty of safety margin .... drilling a hole would be a Bad Move, the wear would be much more localised and you wouldn't be able to slide the bar to get the tube balanced in declination as easily.

3. The dust cap has to come off. The focus will be different, you have to wind the focuser quite a distance but you should be able to get a focus. However, with the 10mm EP supplied, if the seeing is poor or the scope hasn't cooled properly, or is out of collimation, you won't get a sharp image - you're running towards the "too much magnification" problem; 10mm with a 2x barlow in a 1200mm focal length scope gives x240 which IMO is a bit too much for 6" aperture, even if the optics are perfect, properly collimated, at ambient temperature and the seeing is really steady.

If you're worried about the barlow not working properly, try it with the 25mm EP.

1. Second what Brainb has said, leave the dovetail on and just undo the clamps each time its easier and what i do :icon_eek:

Additionally I'd put the counterweights on and balance the scope it will operate better and the reduce wear on the gears in the mount.

Thanks. Do you mean leave the dovetail on the tripod mount or on the scope? For now I have the dovetail and clamps (tube-rings) attached to the scope and on the floor in a safe place. Is it better to store the scope vertically (eg leaning up against a bookcase) or horizontally (on floor or top of bookcase etc)?

When I have unscrewed the bottom bit of the Barlow there seems to be a heavy glass element left in the black plastic bit which I would assume needs to be somewhere in the focuser but can't figure out where and if it fits in somewhere (other than the accessory tray) :icon_eek:

Also, on the outside of the bottom-end of the scope is a round bit of cardboard behind the primary mirror. Does this need to be removed? It was all dewed up after 1 session so I would think it would get soggy and disintegrate with time.

i leave the dovetail plus tube clamps on the tripod and remove the ota each time. As to storing the ota I prefer to store horizontally ( kept the box it came in with the expanded foam holders) as storing verically imo there is always the risk it might fall over.

The barlow should have a dust cap at on end and a another cap at the other. Both of these need to be removed. The one at the end where the srew is lifts out. Take the eye piece out of the focuser, put in the Barlow - remember to screw it in place then put the ep in the barlow. As Brianb said try with the 25mm first as its easier to focus.

I'd remove the cardboard at the base of the ota, it will assist in letting the scope cooll a bit quicker.

As regards the dust cap at the bottom of the barlow, this has to he pulled off the black part. It may be rather a tight fit but it does come off.

Sounds like you are leaving it in place and removing the black part by unscrewing it - but that's the part where the actual Balow lens is!

regards

Richard

Archived