NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

pelican final edit - monitor check

MartinB

Giving up with this now. Have combined 2 images but it's really difficult to mosaic when you have a load of amp glow (despite using amp off). On a well adjusted monitor you can see the bill pointing down and to to the R. On my desktop the bill is a stumpy little thing with a blob on the end.

Not doing any more large dim nebulae until I get a decent ccd camera!

image.jpg

Yes,

Like that one. Focus is good and like the diffraction spike - is that generated by the scope or have you popped a bit of something over the end of the scope to make it yourself?

Anthony

Jeez yer too fussy mate thats a great image IMHO.

Thanks Jamie - you should have seen the 4 frame mosaic - like a 1960s tie pattern :)

Anthony, the diffraction spikes are added in during the processing using some automated actions produced by a chap called Noel Carboni. His pack includes some incredible tools for reducing noise, enhancing contrast, reducing bloated stars and lots more. Everyone uses them - highly recommended. I generally don't like the spikes but think they work well on images that don't have a definite focal point

I agree, it does add a bit more interest. Your spikes look a bit "more real" than software generated spikes that I have seen though.

I hear that Noel's Action do whole lot more than just the spikes. When I get paypal, ithe actions will be one of the first acquisitions.

Anthony

Hi Martin, thats a good improvement mate , but like you said it is hard to get these faint large nebs with the 2hs. although i did manage after a long process , i did find however that that colour did not bring as much detail out as b/w did , this did not apply to all faint neb , some responded very well to colour ,you are right of course the true CCD and longer exposure is the best way foward with these little devils.

Rog

Thanks Rog, did the Ha colour since the amount of histogram stretching needed does give a bit of a noisy image. I think this is less noticeable with the red and, of course, it is actually red!

Archived