Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew Heater Power Supply

Would the following be suitable for powering a 6" dew strip and a couple of smaller ones for camera lense and eyepiece

12V 5A Cigarette Socket Power Supply : Cigarette Socket Power Supplies : Maplin

i use a powertank for the goto scope but i understand that it is best to have a stable supply for the goto so looking at a permanent supply in the warm room to supply the dew heaters.

Any opinions???

The device is not suitable for outdoor use.

I see you have an Observatory.

5Amps seems plenty, but depends on your dew strips loading. I can't imagine they would exceed 5Amps though. So, apart from the outdoor restriction. I would say it will be OK.

If you do use it, get a plug with a fuse in it 8 Amp should be OK.

I Have to repeat though, Don't Use It Outdoors.

Ron.

Pondering the same question. I sensed, last night (reading around), Dew prevention required but FEW watts at each site. I was going to look more actively at the other outputs of my Power Tank. I cannot imagine putting a basically resistive(?) load onto the thing would introduce too much electrical "sharsh" onto the power lines re. previous goto functionality. Naturally overall loads have to be considered... :icon_eek:

My concern is the fact of the changing draw on the power tank while suppllying the dew heaters, i was just under the impression it could cause problems with tracking and goto accuracy. If this is not the case then i would be happy to use the power tank for both applications. Can anyone shed any light on this?

If you estimate the current for each strip at 1 amp Maximum, then you are well within the zone for the Power Supply you are considering. 3 Amps is a comfortable draw for that unit. It will in all probability be less than that. If you could measure the resistance of each strip, then it will be easy to know exactly the Amps drawn.

Ron.

Archived