Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon v Nikon, astro imaging

salmja79

I think I need to throw this reference into the mix <url>Telescope Reviews: Canon vs Nikon D5000? </url>

Seems like there is notmuch of a difference left

I tried a canon D400, 450 and 500 and borrowed a 300d for a period of time. The 300D had a light on teh back while exposing which was really bright in teh dark whih cput me straight off and I though it was a big chunky beast.

So in the end I went for a D5000 Nikon. The clincher for me was the ability to swivel the view screen which I'd learnt from my coolpix was a lifesaver for some shots and tyhe abilty to lockup the mirror for a second befiore the xposure was taken, which with these heavy DSLRs I also reckon important.

I shall have to see if the great star Eater is still there.

ergs

Mike

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried a canon D400, 450 and 500 and borrowed a 300d for a period of time. The 300D had a light on teh back while exposing which was really bright in teh dark whih cput me straight off and I though it was a big chunky beast.

Yeah, the 300D was a bit of a brick, but it's a real workhorse, with a nice all-round usable 6.2mp sensor. I recently (reluctantly) sold one to part-finance a 500D, which is a fantastic camera, but has succumbed to what Brian described; mega-pixel-mania, at 15mp. I've yet to stretch it's legs on a scope, but in everyday use, it's a belter, with HD movie capablities, live-view, and a VGA resolution (900,000 pixel) 3" LCD screen, and it's relatively tiny and lightweight compared to the 300, although to someone with big hands, this could be a problem. It's also dropped from it's scary entry-price of £1100 at the start of 2009 to the now realistic £570-ish.

I love my modded 1000D. The 350D suffered from amp glow at long exposures, the 1000D seems to be immune, even at my curent max of 15min exposures.

Just remeber to switch off both noise reduction programs in the menus and you are fine with darks and flats.

My Sony A700 on the other hand is amazing for normal work, but pants at astro because of the dynamic adjustments it does.

Archived