Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Syntrek vs Synscan

Does anybody know whether a HEQ5 Syntrek be controlled from a laptop in a similar way to a Synscan? And can it be done using Debian/Ubuntu-Linux? Does anybody what the process is, and what software to look for? I'm not ideologically committed to doing this in linux, I just prefer it, and my Ubuntu laptop is more powerful than my XP netbook.

I have a 600x102mm refractor - would an HEQ5 be able to manage an 200x1000mm f5 Newtonian, the refractor (appx 2.5kg) and a DSLR body?

I'm figuring the Newtonian will be OK visually for DSOs - but will it be any good for solar system objects as well, or would I need to look at getting a 1000x120mm refractor as well, and using that for planetary observing?

I am only looking to image as a personal record - but have found that my Sony Alpha 330 doesn't seem quite up to the job, so am looking at a Canon 1000D body for DSOs, and am looking at constructing my own high-res webcam. Would that be about right?

Any ideas on how to control gain on webcams if the native windows software that comes with the webcam doesn't seem to do that? Tried using wxAstro in Ubuntu - but while I can get the software with a low-res test webcam in Windows, and the webcam working in Ubuntu, I can't get wxAstro to read it.

Mish.

As far as I know, EQMOD will not run on Linux (even using WINE), as it requires ASCOM to run, and this is Windows only.

I`m sure someone using a Linux system to control an EQ mount will be along shoryly to explain what is available.

Archived