NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Autoguider experiences - Lodestar vs. LVI

daneel

I wanted to get SGLers experiences with these three, or possibly two, autoguider cameras:

1. Starlight Xpress Lodestar

2. Orion USA Starshoot Solitaire

3. LVI Smartguider (same as 2?)

Just went to the Widescreen Centre and the sales chap Ethan was very helpful. But ultimately you don't know whether it'll work until you try it, and this would be a very expensive mistake! So I'm keen to hear the experience of people who use these guiders.

I have an EQ6 mount, a SkyWatcher Equinox 100 APO and a Canon EOS 10D and only use Linux, so need a guide camera/software that is compatible or a stand-alone guider.

I'm planning to climb the imaging learning curve gently through some guided piggyback DSLR imaging. Ethan recommended Covington's "Digital SLR Astrophotography" which I bought and on a cursory reading it seems very clear.

While I was in the shop I had a drool at the WO FLT 98, but sadly I've blown all my money on an Alexanders obsie so that's one for the future.

Thanks!

Looking at that screenshot, every variation of the QHY5 seems likely..

Means that the netbook option is even cheaper...a 701 would run that easily..

Crikey, someone could make a killing installing and supplying that as a working guide solution..

Archived