Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is my RA drive broken? or am I doing something wrong ?

I got an RA drive for my EQ5 mount from E-Bay, I havent used a drive on any of my mounts before, so I found some fitting instructions on Skywatchers site.

According to the instructions the handset can be set for north or south hemisphere with the drive tracking in the appropriate direction, and the 8X speed can also move the drive forwards or backwards.

This drive only seems to move in one direction, with the cog turning towards the rear of the mount (i.e. "clockwise when looked at face on ) although it does move at different speeds when the 2X and 8X buttons are pressed.

I dont suppose its meant to be like this and is broken, :( but I just wanted to check that it wasnt just me doing something wrong before I start looking for a refund. ;)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Is there two multi plugs that go into each motor from the control unit? If so, make sure the pins are all there in each one, and not broken or bent. These plugs if they are there, will have a register, that will only allow them to plug in the correct way, but sometimes people are unaware of that, and will force them to go where they shouldn't.

Have a look here. Are they anything like this.?

Ron.

http://www.astronomica.co.uk/index.php/Components/Motor-Drives/DK-3-Dual-Axis-Drive-System-Controller.html

As the motor is a stepper motor, and it at least moves in one direction, then the problem lies in the handset. I suspect a dodgy 8X switch.

'Pop' the switch covers off by using 2 levers, each under opposing sides of the button. Then remove the screws and the cover. Remove the circuit board. Use a magnifying glass to inspect the solder connections around the switch.

Steve

The normal speed, the 2X speed and the 8X speed all work, its just that they only seem to work in one direction, the cog doesnt turn in reverse when I press either the 8X reverse button or the "Southern hemisphere" switch.

Is the direction that the cog is turning ( towards the rear of the mount, or in other words "clockwise" , when viewing the cog "face-on" as you would a clock ) the right direction for the northern hemisphere ?....if that makes sense ;).

If so and the 2X and 8X speeds are working OK in that direction then I guess I could live with it as I dont see me taking the mount "down under", it would just be the 8X reverse speed that was missing.

However, if its turning in the "wrong" direction then its not much use to me :(

I dont like to bump my own posts , but it would be really helpfull if someone could confirm that the the drive is at least turning in the right direction (see my post above) before I resort to trying to get a refund, ;)

The hand controller must have East West buttons surely?

In the North hemisphere the scope drives to the west at sidereal rate, or star rate. If the star was to drift too far west, then pressing the East button momentarily would bring it back to centre. The speed buttons are self explanatory. To have a reasonable control, select the 2x button. The 8 x one is for fast slew only.

That's if the work. If the controller has east and west, the your RA motor should change direction depending which button is pressed.

The motor should work as soon as it is switched on, and in the direction to the west. You can determine if the direction is correct by observing the scope itself. The movement will be very slow, but obvious after a short time.

The main thing is. the motor should work in both directions. If it doesn't. Then I fear something is wrong with it.

Can you supply any pictures to let us see exactly what you have.

I might be prattling on about an entirely different setup.

Ron.

Archived