New binos have arrived!

Hello,

I have finally had a go at looking at the sky tonight with the Celestron 15x70 binoculars, the clouds were kind enough to give way for some nice viewing.

Since the moon is the brightest thing in the sky tonight, it was a good focusing point for the binos, then a little to the right Jupiter showed off the moons for me!

And of course the M31 produced a nice grey smudge in the sky! Exactly how I pictured it would look through the binos.

This will definately keep me occupied until I get the SkyWatcher 150PL!

Is there anything I should look out for in the night sky that will produce a nice view with these binoculars? Will the Orion be visible at all (even if it is just another smudge)?

Another thing I came across while searching for the M31 was a star moving really quickly across the sky, I kept track of it for about 40seconds, what could that be? (my first guess it was a satellite... or am I dreaming?)

Great way to start..

glad they are performing and you are already searching the night sky...

You have gone for the right targets as well.

M45 and M42 should be worthwhile as is just scanning the sky and referring to a sky atlas...

and the scope will be a perfect addition when there..

you definitely saw a satelite!

You will get used to them.

Steve

Good choice of bins.

The top stars of Orion are rising at about 11pm, It would be at least another hour before M42 rises. If you wait another month it will be much better placed,

Even with the Moon have a sweep through Cygnus as the Milky Way is very bright in that region.

Some fainter open clusters for when the Moon is passed full are M34 (Perseus) and M35 (Gemini).

Brilliant starting point a pair of 15x70's. That's how I kicked off the hobby and still use them even now (although my current skies are probably worst for light pollution).

I would recommend a sturdy tripod and a metal binocular mount to accompany your bins though, it'll make a big difference to the experience and give you the opportunity to really scrutinize things like nebula's or the moon without a constant wobble.

Pleides is great to look at, as is the Orion nebula, if you can stay up that late!

Good news, and a good size pair... Have a look in the Bino Observing section, there's a fair few posts about good targets and some links.

The Double Cluster is superb (From Cassie - W), drop almost straight down on the left hand side...

Carry on down a bit, into Perseus, and the brightest star just off the line to the right is Alpha Perseii... lovely bundle of stars there (Mirfak Association).

have a look at Jupiter, if you can get the binos steady, you should be able to easily see the galilean moons.

The beauty of binos is that they are so portable. Take them to a really dark sky site and prepare to be amazed.

I've looked at the coal sack in cygnus with big scope and small and been singularly unimpressed-- until I looked at it through a pair of bog standard 7 x 50 binos from a dark sky site, it just leapt out at me. With the same binos I can also see 4 galaxies and Im sure I'll add to that number during the up-coming galaxy season.

Even when I'm out with the scope my bino's get used more. (Bending over an eye peice doesnt do my old back any good)

Archived