Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ 3-2 with meade autostar fitted - question

been meaning to mention this for a while (ok about 11 months).

first some background

i've 150p on an EQ3-2 mount and the previous owner had fitted a meade autostar controller, circuit board and motors to it. now when i bought it i got it at a good price for the scope, mount and eyepieces that were included, the autostar was beside the point and i was expecting it not to be very succesfull, at best i thought i'd have a motorised mount.

as it happens it's a really succesfull adaptation, i don't use the goto much but providing i do a reasonable polar align and a 2 star alignment test the target is usually close to centre. the only problem has been when my lad managed to get a cord between the mount and 1 motor which jammed the mount and stripped a tooth on those little meade compound gears but that was rectifiable.

the question is that i've never found any info on this conversion anywhere and i just wondered if anyone knew anything about it ?

thanks for the replies. not actually that bothered, just curious really though actually i may do a bit of tidying up on it, i'd prefer the circuit board / connector pannel to be better protected and one of the boxes that holds a motor has a pretty marginal clearence to the mount (thats the one that got jammed by a thin cable from the power tank). i'll just add a box to the rear of the board and a subtle remodeling of the one edge of the motor box should be adequate

Archived