Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filters, or not...

I've never used filters before (apart from UHC/OIII) but I'm wondering whether they would be worth it for me, especially after seeing how bright Jupiter was through my 10". I've been looking at moon filters and colour filter sets - people will be asking what I want for Christmas soon ;)

I know there are a number of threads already on this subject, sorry! - but most of the questioners seemed to have refractors, so any advice on what if anything would suit me would be great, thanks :(

hi

a good filter with many uses is a variable polarization filter.

it will help reducing the brightness of the moon, and planets, without adding any color to the image.

i have one, and think it is a very nice filter to have.

alfi

UHC and OIII filters are used to enhance the contrast of nebulae and can make the difference between seeing an object and not for some deep sky objects.

John

NB: I've just noticed that you have used this type of filter so you probably already know this !.

wulf - I have quite a few coloured filters. I seldom use them but I'd suggest take a look at a filter guide and buy what you think you will look at. Personally I;d not bother with orange for the marian landscape - Mars is so tiny its hardly worth it.

I'd get a moon filter and a few filters to deal with Jupiter OR a basic set of red, green and blue. With a 10" scope you wont be very limited.

Do they make much difference ? I find some the lighter filters help knock out the glare of stuff like Jupiter and Venus. Also a Green filter works rather well on the moon I find.

Archived