NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Telescope?

Hi guys,

I was hoping to pick your brains and seek some advice before this Sunday. I saw advertised a 76x700mm reflector telescope at Aldi (ALDI - Sunday Special Buys 25th October 2009).

I currently have one of those Bresser 70x700mm refractor scopes from Lidl, with NO equatorial mount, sadly.

Was wondering whether you guys thought it would be worth upgrading to the reflector from Aldi - 6mm more on the objective, and with a 3x barlow.

Plus the Aldi scope comes with what looks like an equatorial mount, which I hope will be more useful for photos when a motor is added to the mount.

Maybe I'm just misguided lol.

Many thanks in advance =)

Howard

If possible please don't buy this. I know thay are cheap but they are for a reason.

How much money do you have to spend? There maybe a few secondhand bargains on this site that are much better then the Lidl scope for not alot more money.

I'll second (or third) what the others say . Don't forget that, due to the central obstruction, a 76mm Newtonian will not show you anything more than a 60mm refractor, so I'd say it would be a step back from your Bresser optically. I seriously doubt it is capable of the 262x magnification the advert implies!

Also I've never heard of an EQ7 mount. Are you sure that it has the ability to be motorised at a later date?

Finally the barlows given away with these sorts of scopes are generally worse than useless, so don't base you decision on that fact they supply one.

What is your budget, and what is it you are looking for in your next scope?

regards

Richard

Archived