NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

firmware update killed synscan handset

Odd Dob

I tired updating the synscan handset for my heq5 last night and it fails every single time. It starts off saying "erasing..." and then stops, prompting me to power cycle.

Also, the handset seems stuck in upgrade mode.

I've tried different PCs/com ports, even tried older versions of the upgrading software and firmware which I found on Skywatcher's Indian support site...but always the same result.

HALP!

(didn't have any of this hassle with my dob :/ )

I've just done the update, it worked fine.

Check the baud rate of your PC, I think the updater requires 115.2K, some older PC's can't do this even though you can select the option.

You can slow the hand controller baud rate by holding down a combination of keys when you power it up, it's in the manual somewhere. The hand controller then runs at 9600 baud

If it aint broke don't fix it. Updates are not always the best option.

Isn't that the truth. I only gave it a go because I had one "spare" after I borked my 1st HEQ5 mount in an unplanned mount/tarmac interfacing situation, and got a new one on insurance.

Odd Dob: breaking astronomy equipment since 2009.

Cheers for the suggestions. Have tried lower baud settings. Just can't get it to work ;)

Just some obvious things that get me everytime even though I do this for a job;

Are you using a comport or a USB-RS232 dongle.

Look in Windows control panel and check System hardware to find out what numbers the ports are on your PC.

Sometimes modems, etc steal comport numbers.

Soemtimes the comport number gets allocated at a higher number than your software can select, say something like COM24 when software only lets you select up to number 4.

Is your serial cable OK, as per the Synscan manual.

Don't use a 9pin to 9pin cable as an extension lead, pins 2 and 3 may or may not be getting reversed.

Have you powered the hand controller directly rather than via the mount.

Are you supplying enough volts/current, bootloaders can require a little extra compared to normal operation in my experience.

Are you turning the hardware on and starting the upgrade program in the right order/timing.

As I said, lots of things that can catch you out.

Archived