Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2" Focuser Upgrade on 150PL?

I keep thinking about upgrading my Sky-Watcher Explorer 150PL to a 2" focuser, but I have a couple of issues in mind that are putting me off... The biggest one is whether it's even worth it? Will the 6" scope and its secondary mirror be up to filling up a 2" eyepiece, or will there be no discernable benefit? Secondly, assuming the upgrade is worthwhile, how the heck do I hack out a bigger hole in the metal tube for the larger focuser to traverse through?

I've had my interest in this renewed again since getting a small refractor with a 2" focuser, and I'm thinking that I'd really rather develop a 2" EP collection, rather than having to have a mix with 1.25" as well.

Cheers ;)

I upgraded the stock 1.25" focuser to a 2" focuser (from the 8" SW F5).

This was to be able to use the 300D on it... well it does work... a tiny amount of vignetting...

BUT you have to increase the size of the hole (quite a lot) and obviously drill now securing holes...

All in all I regret doing it. But it is possible.

Ant

I think the new ones all come with a 2" focuser. If yours has that then an upgrade shouldnt be hard. Is it worth it ?

I think a lot depends there on whether you will keep the scope or not. For me an 8" scope (ie mine) is the biggest I can hope to own, at least for the foreseeable future, so my inclination is to upgrade it to get the best from it.

The focuser upgrade to mine was just a part of the general upgrading and for me it was worth it with heavy EPs and also for the greater collimation accuracy.

If the scope isnt likley to be used a lot OR its likley to be swapped later on I'd pass.

Thank's for all the input ;)

Hmmmm decisions decisions... Well for the next month (at least!) I'm totally brassed, so whatever I decide it shall have to wait. To be honest I'm in no mad hurry to upgrade the newt, a more substantial mount is much higher on my list, so maybe I'll be brave and start hacking out the tube at some point... Just the though of it scares me!

Archived