Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's this feature on the moon?

MikeD

Hi all.

Hope someone who knows the moon well can tell me what this feature I noticed while processing the avi's for a moon mosaic is?

it's to the right and above Tycho (which I have included as a reference point).

Anyone know it's name and any ideas how it was formed?

Thanks Mike.

post-13376-133877405571_thumb.jpg

I almost certainly will not be able to help, but it isn't clear to me which feature you are refering to. The large ruined crater N and slightly E of Tycho is Sasserides and the crater touching that and to the ESE is a crater with two obvious craterlets and a very obvious small crater just outside its wall at 2o'clock is labelled A in my Rukl Moon atlas but there is no reference to it in the text. You probably knew all this anyway.

Dave

Thanks guys.

It could be just down to shadowing and not a real feature.

I think you might be right, I had a dig around the net and found this on LPOD for feb 2008

" All the tones looks right, being bright or shadowed just where expected, except for one half-dark patch at the top of the flat-floored crater Orontius F in the upper-left quadrant of Stefan's wonderful image. Apparently this piece of the crater floor is tilted just barely away from the Sun so that discontinuous patches of shadow form."

Mike.

Are these main features of the moon or relativly small ones? (sorry about all the questions havent yet started looking at the moon its the wrong side of the house :S)

nine miles is quite a big distance. Thanks

Archived