NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UHC Filter Query

I`m thinking about buying a UHC filter for my 8" Dob. I`ve read a few posts and reviews on their merits but before parting with my hard earned i`d just like to clarify a point.

I realise i won`t be seeing technicolour views like the enhanced photos but will i see any colour at all in the Nebulas? i.e greens or reds.

Will spending extra money on a premium brand ensure a better view?

I ask because i don`t want to shelve out a good few pounds and feel like it was of no benefit. The skies here are very dark when the clouds clear:rolleyes: but i know i`m looking at some nebulas i`m not seeing!!

If this question has been asked a hundred times i missed the answers.

I don't think a UHC filter will allow you to see colour in nebulas. I think thats where aperture comes in.

I once had a 10" Hardin Dob and I could hardly detect any colour. In my 16" dob I can now see colour in nebulas.

Filters like the UHC and the OIII will help you see nebulae better and in some cases (eg: the Veil Nebula) can help you see things that were practically inivisible un-filtered. They work though by filtering out some wavelengths of light so that ones you want (ie: those that are emitted by nebulae) stand out a little more. They won't help you see any colour in objects if it's not there now though.

They make little or no difference to galaxies and clusters though - dark skies are the best way to improve the views of those.

John

My UHC (with my 5" scope) brings out structure and detail in the nebula. It won't give you colour, you'll need more aperture for that.

The only time I've seen colour in nebs is with M42 - buts its relatively close to us, and it's only the faintest green hue.

The UHC will enhance your viewing of nebs, but don't expect to get an improvement in views that you will only get with more aperture. ;)

I have a Lumicon UHC which lets through OIII and H-beta lines. I find it very useful on nebulae, on a number of occasions there have been objects that I simply couldn't see without the filter, but could when I used it. This is true at either a light-polluted site or a dark one, and with small or large apertures (with different objects in each case of course).

I've never seen colour in any DSO except maybe green. The human eye just isn't sensitive to colour at low light levels. And any filter is going to be filtering out colours, not adding them in.

If I had to chose between a UHC and a Barlow I'd take the UHC -mine has had far more use.

Archived