Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop layer masking help?

Embarrassing but I'm stuck. I used to use Ps 7 for layer masking and it worked fine. But that laptop is now dead and with it Ps7 so I'm trying to use CS3 and it doesn't work the same way. I can't make head nor tail of it. i used to cut and paste my short exposure onto my long and then copy the short exposure to a layer mask, blur it and then play with the curve of the mask while looking at the combined image in a separate woindow.

How do you do it in CS3?

All indicators will be greatfully received!

Olly

on your layers pallete, you should see channels. once you've added a mask you should see the mask layer in there, select it (and after copying) paste your content in here. however it should, as far as i know, only accept black and white.

if i get the drift of what you're wanting to do.

a layer mask is essentially masking (hiding) whatever is coloured black on the mask, anything that is not black will be semi transparent right the way down with white being completely transparent.

also a quick tip for those using photoshop, when you mess with levels, curves well anything you would normally do to a flat image, you can always use adjustment layers (i think this is cs versions of pshop and up) where it adds a layer above all others and then that has effect visually on the layers beneath, but without destroying the actual layer content, so you can undo, or adjust slightly on the fly if you have more than one adjustment layer, you can always create more layers as you need to, group to folders and maintain all your original unadulterated data but still end up with the look you want. Adjustment layers are your friend.

Archived