SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Carte du Ciel advice sought

Hello, I decided to look at this software when I heard you can have it draw a circle showing the EP view. A feature definitely lacking in Stellarium.

Could someone please advise me on extra star catalogues please? The pre installed only seem to go to about mag 6 or 7. I want to increase it to about mag 13. I have found some extra catalogues but they seem to be random, like everything brighter than mag 8, and stars between mag 9 and 11. I don't want any gaps. What should I be installing? Thanks!

Hi, the new version od CdC goes down to mag 16

"The UCAC3 star catalog was published by USNO at the end of august 2009.

Its main characteristics are:

• <LI class=level1>Full sky coverage
    <LI class=level1>100 million stars
  • Complete down to magnitude 16"

I think the way it works is that you set it to use different catalogues depending on the angle of the sky you're looking at - ie if you've got a 60 deg view, you don't want to see all stars down to mag 12 (for example) as it'll be way too busy and run too slow. The help function is good - the subject (I think( is "catalogues")

sorry if this is a bit brief -it's bedtime (kids not mine);)

Archived