Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone else having problems with Stellarium?

I tried to pull up Stellarium just now and it takes almost a full minute to load, and then runs at <1.5 FPS. I recently upgraded to Windows 7, so maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps I just need a reinstall.

Is it a case of the software not keeping up with Windows OS updates? I have heard a lot of software isn't compatible with 64 bit operating systems...one day there will be a stable, bug free OS *sigh*...

Stellarium also runs fine on my SP 3 XP, "wimpy" (according to a PC expert pal :)) 1.8GHz CPU, 2.5g RAM - but a relative runs Stellarium on Vista and won't zoom in properly. The program itself is fine - it's all the carp updates!!!! ;)

I too upgraded to windows 7 / vista and the only version of stellarium I could get to work correctly was version 0.9.0. All the later versions would install but not run properly.

Thanks for the tip!

Yeah. It ran like a dream in Vista, but after firing it up in 7, it acted like it was running on a graphing calculator.

I tried to pull up Stellarium just now and it takes almost a full minute to load, and then runs at <1.5 FPS. I recently upgraded to Windows 7, so maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps I just need a reinstall.

It sounds like your video drivers do not support accelerated OpenGL rendering, and your computer is falling back to (very slow) software rendering of GL effects. You will also see (one of your) your CPU(s) pegged at 100% if this is the case.

When Vista was released we had this problem too - only after some time did video card driver authors support OpenGL acceleration. The solution is to update your drivers and if the latest version does not help, contact your video card manufacturer, and demand to know why they are dragging their feet.

It sounds like your video drivers do not support accelerated OpenGL rendering, and your computer is falling back to (very slow) software rendering of GL effects. You will also see (one of your) your CPU(s) pegged at 100% if this is the case.

When Vista was released we had this problem too - only after some time did video card driver authors support OpenGL acceleration. The solution is to update your drivers and if the latest version does not help, contact your video card manufacturer, and demand to know why they are dragging their feet.

This was the case! I had found this solution before you posted, but thank you. It seems that 7 installed its own drivers for my video card. After I installed the latest ones from nVidia, the problem was corrected.

Archived