Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 100ED DS-PRO APO

I bought one last week to replace the ED80 I just sold. The ED80 was stunning, the ED100? well, optically it was as good as the ED80, but it looked like it had fought its way from China to Kent and lost!

I sent it back and am awaiting a replacement from Pulsar Optical, which should be here early next week ( if they get their finger out, they got it back last Tuesday!.)

First impressions are that it was a superb scope, not too heavy and rock steady on my HEQ5. I used my ED80 on an EQ5 and it was also rock steady on my EQ5 pro, I dont see why the ED100 shouldnt be just as good on the EQ5, its not that much heavier .

Allan

I've owned an Evostar ED100 (and a couple of ED80's as well !) and it was one of my favourite scopes - I really wish I hadn't sold it ;)

It's actually a very light optical tube so it should sit well on any mount from an EQ3-2 upwards, for visual use at least.

I find it fairly astonishing that you can get an FPL-53 doublet 100mm refractor tube assembly for £250-£300 used - they are optically as good as scopes which cost 3 times as much IMHO.

John

New ED100DS PRO turned up on Tuesday, of course, it has been cloudy since, but today? Looks like a clear sky tonight so I will be setting up about 9pm on the HEQ5 Pro ( clouds permitting) and will have a better idea of how it performs in relation to my ED80. It will be a hard act to follow, but I will report back soon.

Allan

Archived