Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 500d

This camera is within a week or so of finding it's way into my heap of equipment, but does anyone own one, and can you tell me what if any caveats there may be, when I want to interface it with a laptop (primarily for AP focussing and as an intervalometer)? If there is any other info about this camera that may be handy to know, good or bad, I'd be very grateful. I was considering a 450d, until I noticed the 500d wasn't too far off in price, and offered an HD movie function. Speaking of which, would this facility be any use for planetary work? For any work that wouldn't involve the computer as controller, does it accept a standard mini-jack remote control, or is it IR-only?

Thanks in advance,

Ivor.

hi

i dont have the 500d, only a 450d.

i would be surpriced if it dosent have a mini-jack like the 450d does.

i dont know if the video is usable for planetary work, i guess it depends on the format it stores the video in, if it is stackable or not.

alfi

Hi alfi, yeah the blurb on the review site I read said "IR only" for remote, but like you say, I'll wait 'til I hear from someone who owns one first.

i guess it depends on the format it stores the video in, if it is stackable or not.
Very good point, as I'm fairly sure it uses .MOV (Apple Quicktime) format, which will undoubtedly be compressed, and hence, unstackable. If it was uncompressed, or with an option to be so, it would be possible to convert the MOV file to AVI or separate frames, in which case, yeehaa! ;). Again, I'll need confirmation. I was going to buy it from Jessops, as they seem to have the best price here in the UK right now, so I suppose I should pop in and ask to see it.

Thanks,

Ivor.

Archived