NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LX200 Classic guidance with DSLR

jabberwock48

Having recently acquired a 12in LX200 Classic and now a wedge I was thinking of trying some astrophotography. Having looked through the posts a Canon 450d modified by DSLR Astro seems a good route - with the bonus of being able to use it normally. However what I am not clear about is what equipment I need for guidance. At the moment I am wheeling the scope out for use so would prefer a method that does not involve a laptop. I suppose one option is via the LX200 CCD port but presumably some sort of splitter or off axis guide adapter is required as well as the CCD.

I've got the 12"x200 on a wedge... use a DSLR for spectroscopy...

You can use a ST80 guide camera, and QHY5 with a ST4 direct cable to the Lx200 main panel ... but this still needs a computer to run something like PHD. BTW the CCD port on the Lx200 is only a guide port!! nothing to do with imaging!!

The alternative is to use an old SBIG ST-4 guide system which is self contained - no computer!

( I also use an OAG for real precision guiding... but that's another story)

it should be possible to use the lvi smartguider for offaxis guiding, isnt it a normal 1,25" mounting of the guidecamera on those?

i have a lvi, and it fits in a 1,25" mounting, but i use a guidescope.

alfi

Archived