Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing report 11/10/09

dobserver

As the seeing was so good I made up my mind to have a good session, but people kept coming round to see us, so I didn't get out until 10.30pm! By this time there was barely any moisture in the air, and just a few wisps of high cloud that moved over very quickly.

Started off with some old favourites. M13 looked stunning - I am always blown away by the number of stars in this globular cluster. M92 looked much brighter than the first time I saw it and I am able to find it straight away now, which I like :D

On to M15 which was much more resolved than recently, showing a nice bright core. The Ring Nebula was really popping out at me, and averted vision showed the donut shape really well. The Dumbell Nebula appeared much larger than previously as well, again averted vision brought out the bow shaping very clearly. The moon was rising, but thankfully hidden behind the neighbour's house, so didn't intrude too much at this stage.

I moved over to Andromeda and was rewarded by a stunning view of M31, M32 and M110 all (just!) in my FOV. The nebulosity of M31 stretched right across my EP. M32 was nicely defined, small but with a bright core. M110 was the best I have ever seen it, very distinct and much more than the usual vague smudge I am used to. Spent a long time taking all this in.

Hopped over to M33 the Triangulum Galaxy and had my best view of this object to date. Still a smudge, but larger and more distinct than the first time I saw it.

And now for something completely different - trying for M71 as I wasn't convinced during my last session due to the moon being so high. Found it straight away, slightly to the left of Sagitta, about half way between the two brightest stars. It seemed this globular cluster has a more irregular outline than some of the others.

Glowing with the success of bagging a new Messier I try for the Bodes Nebulae, M81 and M82. Several people had cited these as one of their top 3 objects in a thread on here and I have been curious about them since then. I had to scan for a while before I found them, but I did find them :) The oval shape of M81 sat above the cigar shape of M82 in my FOV - awesome. By this time the moon was rising higher, so I will revisit these beauties on a darker night.

I had to stop by the double cluster NGC869 and NGC884 and was not disappointed to see the amount of stars crammed into my FOV. This is coming to be one of my favourite objects so far - I'm sure the list will change over time and with the changing seasons, but they always look amazing in the EP.

I decide to try for one more new Messier before bed, this time M34 in Perseus as this has risen over the extension. A little scanning and then Wow - a huge open cluster with many stars, both bright and faint scattered all together. Very pretty indeed - I love objects that fill my EP and this one very nearly does just that.

The only objective I have not succeeded with tonight is viewing M45 again through the scope. I either need to take the scope out the front of the house, wait till later at night, or I could just be patient and wait a couple of weeks.

I am so looking forward to SSP revisited now - those dark skies are really calling me, and the freedom from buildings, fences and trees will be a real treat.

I had a great night though and enjoyed every minute. My new coat is perfect for observing and keeps me warm as toast :)

Steph

Steph you are making it seem so easy now. I'm glad you saw Bodes galaxies, these are simply stunning. Your observation reports are really coming together as well, just try and add a little detail about what eyepieces you used, if you saw the object better with averted vision etc.

So whats next on your ever growing list?

Mick I never mention eye pieces as I only have the one! It is the Meade QX 26mm wide angle that came with my scope. I do have a 2x Barlow lens, but find this distorts the shape of the stars so I don't really use it, much to Carl's disgust!

I am waiting with great anticipation for the Orion nebula - can't wait to see this for myself.

I just bought the Sky & Telescope pocket sky atlas, it came yesterday, and this will be used on my next outing. I have been poring through this with growing excitement - it looks really easy to use and shows a lot more than Stellarium I think.

Cheers,

Steph

The M42/M43 will look great in your scope. You should see alot of colour as well especially blue and green. Don't forget the Trapezium stars. You should easily see 4, but on a good night 5 should be visible. very hard to see 6 stars, so give it a go.

Glad to hear your new coat is doing its job :D

Nice night of objects by the sound of it. I am interested to hear that the barlow distorts the stars in your wide angle EP. I was wondering whether to get the 1.6x antares barlow to stop the distortion at the edge of my wide EP, but I certainly wouldn't want to get one only to have it narrow the field of view AND give a poorer display. Hmm.

Like you, I am being patient with the Pleiades and also cannot wait to get my first view of the nebulocity in Orion.

Does your scope resolve some/most/all of the stars in the Hercules Cluster?

Thanks Mick, I'll give the Trapezium stars a look up :D

Julian I can resolve LOADS of stars in M13, however not nearly as many as you see in the fantastic images posted on here. It appears to me (on a good night) as a large globular cluster with a dense core. I can't discern individual stars right in the centre but I can as the eye moves outwards. Towards the edges the stars are sprinkled and just too pretty for words!

I think my Barlow lens is a (respectively) cheap one, and my fast scope doesn't like it one little bit. I don't know anything about the one you mentioned, but I bet someone on here will know if it will suit your set-up :)

Steph

Hi Steph - what a brilliant report and your enthusiasm is infectious ! You paint a really superb picture of life at the EP end of your new scope (and we even got a review of your new coat as well !)

Good choice of the Pocket SKy Atlas - it kept me goinf perfectly @ Kelling and all you need is a dim red light to find a bundle of objects. Of course Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium might have loads more detail / look nicer but there is all the faff of PC / power, glare from the screen and so on. to me, a "steam powered" atlas is a great companion to the human powered dobsonian

Happy viewing !

Cheers Steve :)

It was on your recommendation that I bought that book - I though 'if it's good enough for Steve, it's good enough for me'.

I don't like having my laptop outside as the glare puts me off, and if I come inside to use it my night vision goes, so this book should be just the job :D

That was a great report Steph, and very encouraging for someone like me about to invest in a Dob :D I wanted to make some time to give my current scope a last few outings but I've been on night shifts this week - why do they have to correspond to clear nights!!

You're obviously finding your way around the sky really well; what were you using before your new pocket atlas arrived?

Thanks wulfrunian - you'll love your new Dob, trust me :D

I have previously used Stellarium but it is not always convenient to lug a laptop about and it does destroy your night vision, even in night mode. I now have the best of both worlds.

Just need to sort me out with an OIII filter and I'll be laughing all the way to the Veil Nebula!

Steph

Archived