Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bodes nebula ?

Hi

As im still new at this im just trying to pick out stuff off stellerium and go for it . I have a 8" Dob and was wondering will i be able to spot Bodes Nebula with my setup ? :D

Regards Daren

ps im using a 7.5 plossl & 17mm plossl

Yes, in the spring you'll be able to see it, plus M82 and M51 also. They are all in the plugh area. Make sure you have a good dark sky and your eyes are well dark adapted.

Use the 17mm Eyepiece, and see if you can pick up a 25 or 30mm one too for nice bright wide views.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Dazraz :D

In a word, yes!

M81 ' M82 - Bode's Nebula ' The Cigar Galaxy

I can see the oval shape of the galaxy really clearly in my 5" reflector - with your added light gathering power of the 8" dob you should pick up excellent detail. Use a wide fov eyepiece - your 17mm perhaps - and use your finder to pinpoint the location - you can see it in the upper right of this map

In the wide FOV you should be able to see M82, the Cigar Galaxy, too. They are a lovely pairing and it is great fun to compare the shapes.

Let us know how you get on :)

Archived