Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OMC140 advice

Having recently aquired a skymax127, still waiting to give it a thorough testing but liking the views.

My attention has been drawn to the OMC140, probably as there have been a couple for sale this week, so could have some views from folk that have had/have one please, pros/cons.

I have the option on a purple tube one. Has had the focusser upgrade, with finder, dew shield and I think a 2" diagonal. Hilux coatings, ordered as 1/6th with the optical report coming out 0.97, which the seller says is higher than 1/6, nearer 1/8th, but I'll be guided on that one. Condition is superb and photos should be coming over the weekend. Price is £350 which is fifty over what I was thinking but is it worth it.

Reason for sale is that he's now got a 1/10 one.

any comments appreciated

That's a good buy at that price. OO ratings are actaully given as better than than the rated PV. In other words a typical 1/6PV rating is actually about 1/7PV or so. A 0.097 Strehl rating is also fairly typical for a 1/6PV rated one. So overall it sounds like a good example of a 140 deluxe. Only the very earliest I40s were made without the improved focuser and the upgrade was free to existing owners of the first ones.

I have the new carbon tube version 140 with 1/9PV and 0.989 Strehl. Fantastic scope. I have added a FeatherTouch focuser to mine.

John

Archived