Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What range of scopes for imaging?

MikeP

When I observe, I have a range of eyepieces to choose from. Is the imaging equivalent a range of differing focal length scopes? If so, what would constitute a sensible range of scopes, focal reducers and barlows to image with? I have an Atik 16HR and an unmodified Canon 450D.

Mike

Well spotted boys :D

I was thinking of a bit of rationalisation. The ED80 and the WO66 are keepers at about 600mm and 400mm. I'm very happy with the TOA130 which is 1000mm (for visual too) but I'm just not sure about the C11 which is 2800mm and not getting any use.

Is there anything between 1000mm and 2800mm that I should consider? Or will just using a Celestron f/6.3 reducer be sufficient?

Mike

TBH Peter, I hadn't thought about how to use the C11. I assume (guess) your comment about needing the reducer is due to the C11 not illuminating all the DSLR's chip?

I've no observatory and very limited horizons so it is a case of wanting to have whatever is suitable for whatever passes through the area of sky I can image. Having something with a longer focal length for the smaller objects was what the C11 was for but I'm having my doubts that I will ever image with it.

Mike

OK,

What about a x0.63 reducer for the C11 ( or if you REALLY want to spend money - the Optec NextGen x0.5 version!) and a Star Analyser grating spectroscope.... another challenge, another dimension to your imaging skills!

I have the 12"Lx200, the 10" and 8" now almost 90% dedicated to spectroscopy - no issues with light pollution and some really good results

Mike, your scope range looks brilliant. The SCT can be well utilised with an f/6.3 reducer to get in closer than the TOA, but at its native f/l and even barlowed it will do a great job on planets.

The TOA will be an amazing scope, but it's not that fast. A good reducer for that would open up a lot of opportunities.

Perhaps the same reducer could be used successfully on the ED80 too, which would negate the need for the WO66...

Andrew

Your C11 with a 0.63 reducer will put you in the 1800mmFL region, which is perfect for a whole range of galaxies.

My next purchase will be something I can use at around this FL.

I'll probably end up with something like a 12 inch SCT, which I can use a FR on, and also use at F10 or so for very small galaxies and PN's.

I'm lucky with seeing here. If I image to the East, I just have the English channel, which is a very constant temperature and so there's little in the way of thermal activity.

I generally didn't have many issues with the 14 inch, so a 12 inch will be fine.

Cheers

Rob

Have to agree with the others Mike, your three fracs especially with a reducer would cover you for so many objects. As you know, I'm heading in that direction myself kit-wise and the C11 would be good for those all too infrequent nights when the conditions could cope with imaging at such a focal length.

Tony..

I bought a Celestron f/6.3 reducer two years ago intending to use it with the C11. Images of galaxies are what floats my boat, so that's good news Rob.

I'm just about getting the hang of imaging with the ED80 using the WO66 to guide using a side by side configuration. When I try the C11, I feel I should switch to an ED80 / C11 piggyback configuration. I intend to piggyback the ED80 on the TOA130 too. Does that make sense?

Mike

PS Sorry Peter and Tony, you posted while I was writing my post.

I've been using the ED120 side by side with the 66 without any isses so your TOA and ED80 should be ok. I'd be tempted to piggyback the C11 too as I don't think it would balance going side by side, I guess the only way would be to try out both ways and see how you feel about it. My only concern with piggybacking, especially with a big scope like the C11 would be how it gets affected by wind.

Nice to see you up and running though mate, looks like Martin's set you up for a winter of fun :D.

Tony..

A cheap ST80 is half the weight of the ED80 and with a QHY5 guides my 12" sct - no worries!

For "serious" imaging at f6 and f10 on the SCT start thinking about OAG... yes I know I've heard ALL the stories... but in my experience there's nothing to beat it at f10 on the 10" and 12" sct.

Pete,

The Lumicon 2" OAG is only 20mm thick, so can be used with the #1209 zero shift focuser.....

(BTW the very nice Orion Deluxe OAG is 55mm)

hmm I know I have been looking and we have discussed the options before...

What are the fittings on the orion deluxe?

OK found the user manual as a PDF... Think I might be getting myself one to try...

Peter...

Archived