Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An Hour with the Binos 05/10/09

JamesK

Went out a half-nine last night, after getting home from training and seeing it was clear. Got the 15x70s, tripod, and chair set up in about 5 minitues - you know, even if I get a massive dob I'll keep the binos for that grab n' go quick hour on weeknights.

I soon decided it would be unwise to try and continue with the Messier Hunt tonight - basically because of the just-past-full moon meant it would be hard to find anything excepting very bright clusters, and even they would not be at their best, so I just set up and looked at the Moon for about 20 minitues.

I can't really focus on one area at 15x, but it was nice to look up and down the terminator and match the features on my Moon map. It was very bright, though, verging on uncomfortable. Anyway, it's a very beautiful object as a whole, but I'd love to have a sweep at 200x with a ND moon filter!

Then I looked at Jupiter. I had a quick look at Jupiter through the clouds last night. It was interesting to see how each moon has moved, as it was my first time observing the satelites on two consecutive nights. Is it an optical illusion, or are those Moons distinctivly coloured? The disk appeared clearly flattened, and I got a hint of lighter and darker regions after a while.

I had a look at Albeiro and I agree with TLAO, some background sky brightness does bring out more vivid colours, but the secondary was definatly harder to spot (but not at all hard, it just took a few seconds), and altough you get some of the milky way background it was not as good as it is under dark skies.

I also swept Cassie (Can't spell her full name :D), as she is getting a lot higher in the sky now. I got a hint of the brighter open clusters and the starry background but it's definatly one I would like to go back to under good DSO conditions.

All in all a fairly good impromptu hour, and a forced but appreciated break from my usual DSO hunting - but what I need now is a clear AND dark sky. (Yeah, Good Luck with that...) :D

Hi James' nice write up my self i have a pair of 20x80s and 10x50s.But my mate have the same bins as yours which myself have had a look through at the night sky when the moon is out of the way.They gave me a nice view of the open clusters globular clusters etc good luck with your bins and clear nights.Mark

Archived