NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sky6 and EQ6 connection issue

Hello,

Hope someone can help here..

I bought a second hand copy of The Sky6 and tried to use it last night linking up the EQ6. I updated the synscan controller to 3.25 also. However when ever I try and connect to the Nexstar GPS version (or the other one detailed in the synscan instructions) The Sky6 tells me there is nothing connected.

I have installed ASCOM drivers, the Celestron Ascom driver. Also EQASCOM too. I am trying to connect through the hand controller in PC direct mode.

I have Starry Night 5 and it easily connects through EQASCOM when I select that driver but again when trying to select the Celestron ones nothing connects !?!? icon_scratch.gif

EQASCOM tells me it uses COM1 and so did the Synscan firmware loader.

Any ideas?

Thunor

I assume you are attempting to control your EQ6 by using TheSky6 in conjunction with EQMOD (EQAscom)? If so I don't understand why you want to select the Nexstar option. That is only used when you are connecting directly between TheSky6 and your handset's own functionality. When using PCDirect you are effectively bypassing the handset with that being replaced by EQMod/TheSky on the PC

So, if my assumption is correct, you now want to use Setup in TheSky and select TeleAPI as the 'mount' and only then select EQ5/EQ6 under Settings. I think this also confirms which Com port it is expecting to be connected to

As Barkis says, make sure that the Comm Port which EQMod is expecting is the one allocated by your PC if you're using a serial/USB adapter. If not, change it within TeleAPI

Also one other important point. TheSky is not full ASCOM compliant. Therefore you need to download a plug-in for TheSky from the Ascom site. You'll find full instructions on the site as to how to load it in the proper folder together with an explanation of how it all hangs together.

It can all appear a little complicated to start with but once you've jumped through all the hurdles, you'll appreciate what it can all do

Steve

I use SkyV6 direct to the Synscan handcontroller ( The EQDIR adaptor hasn't arrived yet!).

My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I use a KEYSPAN usb>Serial adaptor then a length of blue network cable wired up as per page V of the manual "Appendix B - RS232 connection", the RJ11 plugs into the controller.

I set up the telescope control under TheSky to Celestron C5 and off we go!!

I don't use the PCDirect utility.

OK, got it working with EQASCOM via the hand controller.

Still unable to link any software to the mount via a Celestron ASCOM driver (Nexstar 5i) But I guess EQASCOM is better anyway seeing as it was made just for the EQ6 !!?

My initial trial I think I will switch over to The Sky6 as it looks and feels better than SN5.

On the EQMOD website, they say that using EQASCOM through the handcontroller rather than by an EQDIR adaptor straight to the mount MAY cause conflict issues... this type of link apparently is "undocumented" by SW.

I'd say if you want to really use EQASCOM ( and the secondary benefits of the gamespad etc) then you should go for the full EQDIR set-up with the necessary adaptor. That's what I hope to do.....

Archived