Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first clear nite !!!

Teddy

Hi all

First of all if u dont find this intresting i am sorry , but i just had to share my first experience.

As some of you know i have just started this hobby and after weeks off preperation i went out into my back garden at 9pm last nite. I was armed with a flask and starmap , i had a little fire going and the sun loungers were set up. The sky was as clear as i have ever noticed it.

I was excited and after getting settled i looked at my first constelatin. after being out there till midnight i found 3 or 4. (ursa major and minor , casatopia) i also worked out Polaris and i found another star but forgot the name now. I had a look at jupitor and before i went indoors i had a look the moon. I was also lucky enough to see a shooting star which was amazing.

I have never felt so awake and full of energy as i did last nite. I could not beleive how much i enjoyed it and also how much fun it was finding things. i can not wait for the next clear night. Utterly Amazing

The best thing about the whole nite is that (without being pushed into it) , i was out there with my two daughters (8 and 10) and my girlfriend. They loved it and also now know what i have learnt, They took real intrest and i never told them to do anything , they just took it upon themselves to get involved.

So i just wanted to share this with a few people who have been helping me and aslo say a big thanks for that help

I just cant get over the feelings that i encounted ( i think u all share these)

Well , hope that people find that intresting, i just had to share it !!

Teddy icon10.gif

well done but seriously I would think carefully about the fire if you have an open tube scope (ie a reflector) as you might get little particles on the mirror - mirrors do get dusty and dirty eventually but best to keep it to a minimum. Also doesn't it ruin your night vision? Having said that, the thought oif stargazing and cooking sausages may be too much for me to resist...:D

Cook the sausages in a smoker to avoid wrecking your dark adapted sight.

Nice report Teddy. It is amazing how much you can see if you only take a few minutes to look up in detail. Everyone knows the stars are there on a clear night, but not many give them more that a casual glance. Once you do, you are hooked.

Thanks

Yeah as I was only using the naked eye on a temp pair off bino's my view was not affected as the fire was in a chimeny and behind us. When I get better and I purchase a scope I will do with out the fire. I also think it helped keep the kids intrested as it was a nice atmosphere.

I am hooked , your right about that

ps my spelling is poor and always will be as I am slightly dyslexic ( so soz if it looks like a five year olds typing)

Teddy

Archived