Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

latitude and longitude

Which is the best site to get the correct ones from ?

I have looked at a few which give different readings ,One even said my elevaction was 37 mts when iam only 5mts above sea level .

Regards

Nick

Get an Ordinance Survey map of your locality & work out for yourself. The grid is not helpful but there are lat & long tick marks in the margins.

Or find someone with a proper GPS handset (not those awful ones sold for navigation in cars) & read the lat & long directly off it, to a very high accuracy indeed.

Where's the path ?

This app is superb. Gives you a very accurate lat/long in the bottom right corner and the OS map on the left is probably the most accurate way of getting your elevation. Standard/cheap GPS are pretty poor at measuring altitude. Unless you have access to some quality surveying gear, OS contour maps are probably accurate enough.

GPS are good for measuring lon and lat, but, as with most things, they are constantly taking a reading of your position from a signal received from 3 (min) orbiting satellites. It then works the triganometry out to find your position. More satellites means better position - best I've had is 14 above the horizon at one time.

Also, when they give accuracy to, for exapmle 5m, they are working on a circular area, so you could be up to 10m from the actual point registered.

Having said that, 10m out in the scheme of things is pretty darn good!

Where's the path ?

This app is superb. Gives you a very accurate lat/long in the bottom right corner and the OS map on the left is probably the most accurate way of getting your elevation. Standard/cheap GPS are pretty poor at measuring altitude. Unless you have access to some quality surveying gear, OS contour maps are probably accurate enough.

god site but yet again it gives different readings than google

rain on its way for me:mad::D:disgust: so i wil have plenty of time to compare the sites

• 3 weeks later...

The Lat + Lon shown in my Where's The Path at wtp2.appspot.com

are WGS84.

You will find altitude readings from Google Earth and its browser plugin cousin pretty inaccurate.

Where's The Path uses SRTM terrain data for route profiles. (3 arc second grid, 90m approx) resampled to a 50m UK grid. So don't expect

anything better than the SRTM accuracy (Google for it). Accuracy will be worse in hilly areas due to the resampling and subsequent bi-linear interpolation.

Glad WTP is of use to you.

i got a free upgrade from orange recently, a nokia 5800 and i'm pleasently surprised at how accurate the gps is, to the extent that it actually shows me walking across the carpark at work so if you have one (i'd assume the iphone is as accurate) then thats a good solution in the field. i tried it on a local geocache site (didn't bother with the take something, leave something business) and it directed me to within a couple of feet which is good enough

Archived