Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Activity October 4th

brianb

Was unable to image yesterday owing to frequent heavy showers & sea spray whipped up by the Northerly gale. A bit better today, still some showers around but a lot less wind and the clear intervals are long enough to be useful.

There is little activity on the disc. Blank in white light, just a thin remnant of AR1026 right on the western limb visible in CaK and Ha. But the prominences are really good; there is a very large, bright "hedgerow" on the NW limb and numerous small prominences, some fairly bright, right round the limb. Transparency good (between drifting clouds), seeing moderate to poor.

Sun-091004-1144-CaK.jpg

2009 Oct 04, 1144 UT, PST CaK @ f/10

Sun-091004-1153-Ha.jpg

2009 Oct 04, 1153 UT, Solarscope SV60 @ f/8

Sun-091004-1158-Ha-promNW-X4.jpg

2009 Oct 04, 1158 UT, Solarscope SV60 @ f/32

Sun-091004-1200-Ha-promE-X4.jpg

2009 Oct 04, 1200 UT, Solarscope SV60 @ f/32

The "deep red" is an illusion - the camera is monochrome, I just used the "colorize" function in PS Elements 5 with hue=0, saturation=90%.

Is that 11027 sneaking off the disc in CaK??

I thought it was 11026 - the "big spot" which was advertised before it came round the limb a fortnight ago; 11027 was surely the small group which erupted suddenly a couple of days later, which crossed the meridian first (unseen by me - rotten weather recently) & went round the limb on Oct 1st.

Levels & curves applied to a monochrome (greyscale) image leaves the image greyscale.

If in greyscale change image mode to rgb. Create new curves or levels adjustment layer. In levels adjust the mid tones slider in ea channel or in curves add a point on the middle of the graph and adjust for ea channel. I find it gives a broader range of colours, different strokes I suppose.

DG

Archived