NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seeing conditions.

Hi All.

A little help required please. I've been into Astronomy for about 6 months, but, obviously, still have a hell of a lot to learn, and one of the things I need to learn has just cropped up. People keep saying things like 'The seeing conditions are not right'. What exactly is meant by this? Is it something to do with the atmosphere, or heat haze. Could someone please explain.

Grateful thanks.

Chris. :o

Chris, "seeing" defines how much interference the atmospherics cause to your view. Heat haze from buildings, etc will make it worse.

Have a look at this

I posted for a photographic site... it shows the effect of "seeing" on the moon using a webcam. I don't think this was a particularly bad night... I've seen a lot worse.

Hi John.

Many thanks for that. It explains a lot to me. That web cam vid is exactly what I saw the other night. Someone said it was heat still rising from the ground after the sun had been blazing down on it all day. That's something else I've learned.

Thanks.

Chris.

Archived