Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Silly question: How do you deal with meridian flip?

the smart answer is to avoid it like the plague. My approach now is to always image to the east until I can no longer 'see' the object and then go onto something else in the east. Later I might set up a complete night's imaging in the west and redo all the object's I'm interested in, remembering to invert the camera and set it square to the horizon when pointing at the meridian.

Dennis

I manually flip the scope before imaging so that the counterweights are already facing West then start tracking. Of course this means you cannot use goto to find your target and have to find it with the trusty finderscope or telrad. Also the target has to be far enough round that you can orientate the counterweights West without a scope collision with the legs.

It sometimes means waiting a little later in the evening to be able to do it but well worth it as you can keep the imaging going until the object is quite a few hours past the meridian :o

Matt

Archived