SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon Control Software

Can the standard canon software (ie the remote shooting software) control the camera for bulb exposures?

ie control the camera from PC and take say 10x5mins while I go inside for coffee.

Does the Canon 450D support mirror lock up, and display the 'LiveView' on the laptop screen.

Thanks in advance

Paul

The 450d is older, and I don't use it shooting tethered (except for one test), but I'm pretty sure that the EOS utility will do all you're looking for Paul. Mirror lockup is indeed supported, I can't remember where it is in the menu, but I added it to my favourites. If you use either the 2 or 10 second self timer as well, that will trigger the mirror lockup at activation of the self timer (I use this with my timer remote shutter control).

I use the Canon 450D. You can hook it up to your computer via the supplied USB cable and yes you can use it to time Bulb exposures.

You need to set to BULB, then press the timer button. There are a number of parameters to enter, from memory these are...

The initial delay.

The duration of the exposure.

The repeat interval.

The number of exposures to take.

Not sure about the Mirror, I have not tried this yet. I'm quite new to all this and still have a lot to learn.

No, for bulb setting you need that remote Astronomiser type cable to control the camera, or the TC80 remote which lets you "program" the exposure and interval. Not sure about the mirror lift... would have to check the manual ( definately not available on the 300D unless you use the Russian Hack)

I use the Aputure AP-TR1C remote which allows you to programme all of these functions and leave the camera to do it's thing all night.

The only downside is that this remote doesn't work right when you activate mirror lockup (at least as far as i have been able to assess)

Costs about £25 on ebay

I use the Aputure AP-TR1C remote which allows you to programme all of these functions and leave the camera to do it's thing all night.

The only downside is that this remote doesn't work right when you activate mirror lockup (at least as far as i have been able to assess)

Costs about £25 on ebay

Rossco, set the camera to 2 sec self timer and mirror lockup. Then add 2 seconds to your exposure time in bulb mode. The 2 second self timer triggers the mirror lockup before opening the shutter.

Have a look at

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 450D IR Filter Removal Modification - Canon EOS Utility & Live View for Camera Control for Astro-Imaging -by Gary Honis

It's also 14 bit instead of 12, has a much higher pixel resolution, and live view really helps with focussing. The images also seem better to process once stacked without darks and bias frames included, I now only capture lights and flats.. So less time needed to capture things (although if you go for really long exposures, it's better to have DSS 3.2.2 instead of the latest version for the hot pixel removal).

Archived