Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Macavity's Mini StarPad

Macavity

Since I finished it yesterday... and I am very PROUD of it... :) :)

starpad.jpg

I guess it's QUITE eco-friendly. I did start with about 3" of hardcore - 50:50 commercial (broken brick) and natural limestone (indiginous to my new "welsh hill" site)! On top of that is about an inch (variable) of sand / cement mix... then standard 60x60x5cm concrete flags. But I am SO pleased with the result... Notleast because I worried my "dicky ticker" might not respond well to the unaccustomed navvying! But I donned my cycle clips and downed a quick "snifter" before finally leveling the flags. ;)

Certainly, with the Giro III, it is (to my mind, and visually) rock solid. I hope to adapt the idea to take the SynScan Alt-Az head, which I am convinced would benefit too. Although a MODEST installation, I much prefer the Pillar to any previous tripod(s). The pillar extension (from Widescreen) takes the overall pillar top to ~50". All (eventual) cables now dangle freely and it's a sinch to level for those whose knees / lower back is getting a bit stiff too... :)

P.S. Yes, the inherited shed (from previous owner) really DOES lean that much. A bit like the dodgy plumbing, wonky kitchen cupboards, scary "electrics" etc. But I'm getting there... and thanking "the gods" for a GARDEN of my own at last. Of course, the above was secretly THE main priority project!! :D

Archived